Our flexible and powerful HubSpot Integration allows you to set and forget, or customize as needed.
Now that you've connected your HubSpot Integration, you can customize it further and start automatically syncing donations from your HubSpot Integration settings page, available by clicking into Settings -> Integrations -> HubSpot:
Once there, you'll likely want to do the following:
- Review the Integration's default behavior + Enable Automatic Sync
- Set your defaults using General Settings & Mapping Rules
- Cover any exceptions using Special Rules
- Sync your historical data
Review the Integration's default behavior + Enable Automatic Sync
Once you Enable Automatic Sync from the bottom of the Hubspot Integration settings screen, the integration's sync will run after every successful donation made via Fundraise Up, including for installments of recurring donation plans.
To the extent that we can, we seek to make our CRM Integrations fill in every standardized field and create every standardized record that's expected.
The integration makes Deals in HubSpot to represent all Donations, and fills in certain key fields by default like Amount and Close Date.
The record name of the Deal is governed by the Deal Name text field in the integration's General Settings tab.
These Deals are automatically put in the appropriate Stage of a Pipeline called "Fundraise Up Donations" (which can be changed if required from within HubSpot), which the integration makes in your HubSpot account at the time of connection.
The stages of this pipeline are:
- Pending - Donations that are awaiting a confirmation from the payment method chosen. For example, ACH, larger PayPal donations, etc.
- Failed - Donations that did not process for one reason or another (explained in the donation record).
- Success - A successful donation.
- Refund - Any donations that are refunded.
When a Donation is synced in and creates a Deal in HubSpot, the integration attempts to find an existing Contact based on your "Match Contact" setting, for which the possible values are:
- By Email
- Name and Phone
- Name and Address
If it does find a matching Contact, it associates the Gift with that Contact. If it doesn't, it makes a new Contact, and associates the Gift with the new Contact.
In both cases, we update any stock personal or contact information fields for which the Donation had updated information, such as name, email address and email mailing list opt-in status, phone number, and physical address.
The integration makes Recurring Plans in HubSpot to represent any synced Recurring Plan. Recurring Plan is a Custom Object we make in your HubSpot account at the time the integration is connected.
Any Deals made in HubSpot that represent installments of a Fundraise Up Recurring Plan get associated with the corresponding Recurring Plan in HubSpot.
Set your defaults using General Settings & Mapping Rules
The HubSpot Integration page has four sections:
- the header, which shows you what account you connected,
- the tabbed area, which lets you set your sync behavior,
- the sync log, which shows you records that've synced into HubSpot,
- and the footer, with options to run historical syncs or deactivate this Integration.
It's good to start in the tabbed area (with tabs labeled General Settings, Mapping Rules, and Special Rules) so that you can cover your most common donation scenarios. Any changes you make in any of the tabbed sections are not saved until you hit the Save Changes button at the bottom of that area.
Look over your General Settings
The screen will have the General Settings tab open by default.
Within General Settings, you'll find a few checkboxes and a few dropdowns. There's only one required field in this area (Match Contact), and it's filled in with the most common selection by default.
- Match contact:
- This is set to "By Email" by default, and that's our recommended best practice, as people have names, addresses, and phone numbers in common more regularly, and change them more often. Setting this value to "By Email, in our experience, results in the least amount of account deduplication required.
- Subscription type (optional):
- HubSpot uses subscription types to store what types of communication a contact has or has not consented to receive. This dropdown allows you to control which subscription type we update on Contacts based off the donation's mailing list response.
Make some Mapping Rules
The second tab in is labeled Mapping Rules - it allows you to make 1-to-1 mappings of fields in Fundraise Up to fields in HubSpot.
As covered above, some mappings are already built-in by default (i.e. donation amount to donation amount), so this area is really for defining what additional things should be true most of the time.
To add a rule here, you'll click the Add Rule button to start choosing what Fundraise Up object the mapping should start with.
You can modify existing rules by clicking on any of the object or field buttons that represent the mapping, or delete them by clicking the grey x on the right-hand side of that rule's row.
When talking about mappings, we'll follow the format:
Object in Fundraise Up: Field in Fundraise Up -> Object in HubSpot: Field in HubSpot
The available Fundraise Up entities to map data from are:
- Checkout Question
- Custom Field
- UTM Parameter
- Static Value
- This allows you to enter a specific value to pass in for every Donation.
The available HubSpot entities to map data to are:
Sync your historical data
Once you chose to Enable Automatic Sync, all new donations will have started coming over to your HubSpot account, generating records as applicable.
How do you get past donations and donor data in? What about changes that've been made to your mappings; how do you get that new data in?
For scenarios like those, we offer the ability to run a sync that'll add any new records and update any previously synced ones. In the footer section of the HubSpot Integration page, you'll find a button labeled Synchronize in a section that summarizes the last sync run.
Clicking that Synchronize button will launch a popup labeled Synchronize Donations, which will provide you the following options:
- All donations
- Specify period
- This will offer a date range selector, so that you can sync only donations made in your date range of choice.
Once you click Start Synchronization, the sync will begin.
Refreshing the page and scrolling back down to the footer will show you the progress/results of that latest manually-started sync.
Note: This mass sync option will only sync live Donations. To sync a test Donation historically, go to that test Donation's record in Fundraise Up and use the Synchronize button there.