CRMs are useful because they let you see everything centrally. Make sure your Fundraise Up data is showing up in Neon CRM in the fashion you'd expect!
Now that you've connected your Neon CRM Integration, you can customize it further and start automatically syncing donations from your Neon CRM Integration settings page, available by clicking into Settings -> Integrations -> Neon CRM :
Once there, you'll likely want to do the following:
- Review the Integration's default behavior + Enable Automatic Sync
- Set your defaults using General Settings & Mapping Rules
- Cover any exceptions using Special Rules
- Sync your historical data
Review the Integration's default behavior + Enable Automatic Sync
Once you Enable Automatic Sync from the bottom of the Integration screen, our Integration's sync will run after every successful donation made via Fundraise Up, including for installments of recurring donation plans.
To the extent that we can, we seek to make our CRM Integrations fill in every standardized field and create every standardized record that's expected.
The integration makes Donations in Neon CRM to represent any one-time donations and installments of recurring donations, and fills in the following fields by default:
- Acknowledgee Email
- Acknowledgee Name
- Donor Name
- Honor Name
- Honor Type
- Payment Status (even though we'll always only sync successful donations)
Fundraise Up integrations are API-based, meaning that the software suite that data is being synced into controls how records can be made, whether they can be edited, and so forth. Before using the Neon CRM integration, we recommend reviewing the following known limitations:
- No recurring donations object exists in Neon CRM.
- External recurring transaction schedules cannot be written into Neon CRM. The integration will be written in each donation installment, but to see the schedule of payment and current status you’ll want to click back into your Fundraise Up account.
- Refunded donations will delete the transaction from Neon CRM as Fundraise Up is not able to update the payment status to Cancelled.
The integration attempts to find an existing Individual Account. If it does find one, it updates the following fields. If it doesn't, it makes a new Individual Account and fills in these fields.
- Company (if applicable, corresponds to the Company Account)
- Consent to Email
- Primary Contact Address (if applicable, corresponds to the Address)
- Primary Contact Email 1
- Primary Contact First Name
- Primary Contact Last Name
- Primary Contact Preferred Name (fills in first name by default)
- Primary Contact (fills in True by default)
If Data Privacy & Consent has been enabled in Neon CRM, and specifically if the Email field has been enabled, we will send appropriate results to indicate whether the donor consented to inclusion on your email mailing lists.
The integration creates a new Address for the new or existing Individual Account, filling in the following fields by default.
- Address Line 1
- Address Line 2
- Zip Code
When the "On Behalf Of" field was filled in during checkout, we either find the existing Company Account by an exact name match, or create a new Company Account with that name. The Company Account gets set as the "Donor" on the resultant Donation in Neon CRM.
If the "On Behalf Of" value had a misspelling of the Company Name from the donor, or the donor later requests to remove that value and to consider the donation an individual donation, you can address this semi-automatically by first editing the "On Behalf Of" value in Fundraise Up to whatever is appropriate, then deleting the donation from Neon CRM, and lastly, resyncing that donation from Fundraise Up to Neon CRM.
Set your defaults using General Settings & Mapping Rules
The Neon CRM Integration page has four sections:
- the header, which shows you what account you connected,
- the tabbed area, which lets you set your sync behavior,
- the sync log, which shows you records that've synced into Neon CRM,
- and the footer, with options to run historical syncs or deactivate this Integration.
It's good to start in the tabbed area (with tabs labeled General Settings, Mapping Rules, and Special Rules) so that you can cover your most common donation scenarios. Any changes you make in any of the tabbed sections are not saved until you hit the Save Changes button at the bottom of that area.
Look over your General Settings
The screen will have the General Settings tab open by default, as shown here:
Within General Settings, you'll find a few checkboxes and a few dropdowns. There's only one required field in this area, and it's filled in with the most common selection by default.
- Match Account:
- This is set to "By Email" by default, and that's our recommended best practice, as people have names, addresses, and phone numbers in common more regularly, and change them more often. Setting this value to "By Email, in our experience, results in the least amount of account deduplication required.
- Default Account Origin (optional)
- You likely want to fill this in with something to indicate any new Accounts were made due to the Fundraise Up integration.
- Default Campaign (optional)
- Default Fund (optional)
- Default Purpose (optional)
- Default Source (optional)
Make some Mapping Rules
The second tab in is labeled Mapping Rules - it allows you to make 1-to-1 mappings of fields in Fundraise Up to fields in Neon CRM.
As covered above, some mappings are already built-in by default (i.e. donation amount to donation amount), so this area is really for defining what additional things should be true most of the time.
To add a rule here, you'll click the Add Rule button to start choosing what Fundraise Up object the mapping should start with.
You can modify existing rules by clicking on any of the object or field buttons that represent the mapping, or delete them by clicking the grey x on the right-hand side of that rule's row.
When talking about mappings, we'll follow the format:
Object in Fundraise Up: Field in Fundraise Up -> Object in Neon CRM: Field in Neon CRM
The most common mapping people define is "when a gift comes in from a Fundraise Up Campaign, fill in X in Neon CRM", so let's cover common setups:
- If your Fundraise Up Campaigns are all named the exact same as your Neon CRM Campaigns, your mapping rule could just be Campaign: Name -> Campaign: Name.
- If your Fundraise Up Campaigns all have the name of the related Neon CRM Campaign in their "Code" field in campaign settings, your mapping rule could be Campaign: Code -> Campaign: Name.
The available Fundraise Up objects to map data from are:
- Checkout Question
- Custom Field
- UTM Parameter
- Static Value
- This allows you to enter a specific value to pass in for every Donation.
The available Neon CRM objects to map data to are:
- If a Campaign isn't found matching the mapped data from Fundraise Up, we'll create the dropdown option in your Neon CRM Campaigns dropdown.
- Custom Field
- This allows you to map data to a specific custom field on the Account or Donation object.
Cover any exceptions using Special Rules
Your defaults will have you covered most of the time - what about the edge cases?
For exceptions, we have the Special Rules tab! Any mappings you set here will override your Mapping Rules. As such, we allow you to get more granular here - where Mapping Rules limits you to mapping field-to-field, Special Rules allows you to map option-to-option.
To add a rule here, you'll click the Add Rule button to start choosing what Fundraise Up object the Special Rules' mapping should start with.
Fundraise Up offers Campaigns and Designations as available starting points for any Special Rule.
For Neon CRM, we can use Special Rules to affect Campaign, Purpose, and Source.
So, let's say any gift coming in with the "After School Program" Designation in Fundraise Up should go to the "Extracurricular" Purpose in Neon CRM. The Special Rule would be made as follows:
- Designation: After School Program -> Purpose: Extracurricular
Sync your historical data
Once you Enable Automatic Sync from the bottom of the Integration screen, all new donations will have started coming over to Neon CRM, generating Company Accounts, Individual Accounts, and Donations as applicable.
How do you get past donations and donor data in? What about changes that've been made to your mappings; how do you get that new data in?
For scenarios like those, we offer the ability to run a sync that'll add any new records and update any previously synced ones. In the footer section of the Neon CRM Integration page, you'll find a button labeled Synchronize in a section that summarizes the last sync run.
Clicking that Synchronize button will launch a popup labeled Synchronize Donations, which will provide you the following options:
- All donations
- Specify period
- This will offer a date range selector, so that you can sync only donations made in your date range of choice.
Once you click Start Synchronization, the sync will begin.
Refreshing the page and scrolling back down to the footer will show you the progress/results of that latest manually-started sync.
Note: This mass sync option will only sync live Donations. To sync a test Donation historically, go to that test Donation's record in Fundraise Up and use the Synchronize button there.