CRMs are useful because they let you see everything centrally. Make sure your Fundraise Up data is showing up in Virtuous CRM in the fashion you'd expect!
Now that you've connected your Virtuous CRM Integration, you can customize it further and start automatically syncing donations from your Virtuous CRM Integration settings page, available by clicking into Settings -> Integrations -> Virtuous CRM:
Once there, you'll likely want to do the following:
- Review the Integration's default behavior + Enable Automatic Sync
- Set your defaults using General Settings & Mapping Rules
- Cover any exceptions using Special Rules
- Sync your historical data
Review the Integration's default behavior + Enable Automatic Sync
Once you Enable Automatic Sync from the bottom of the Integration screen, our Integration's sync will run after every successful donation made via Fundraise Up, including for installments of recurring donation plans.
To the extent that we can, we seek to make our CRM Integrations fill in every standardized field and create every standardized record that's expected.
The integration makes Gifts in Virtuous CRM to represent all Donations, and fills in certain key fields by default like amount and date.
If a donation that has been synced is refunded while the auto-sync is still on, the refund will sync to Virtuous CRM as a "reversing transaction" for the original Gift for that donation in Virtuous CRM.
When a Donation is synced in and creates a Gift in Virtuous CRM, the integration attempts to find an existing Contact based on your "Match Contact" setting, for which the possible values are:
- By Email
- Name and Phone
- Name and Address
If it does find a matching Contact, it associates the Gift with that Contact. If it doesn't, it makes a new Contact, and associates the Gift with the new Contact.
In both cases, we update any stock personal or contact information fields for which the Donation had updated information, such as name, email address and email mailing list opt-in status, phone number, and physical address.
The integration makes Recurring Gifts in Virtuous CRM to represent any synced Recurring Plan.
Any Gifts made in Virtuous CRM that represent installments of a Fundraise Up Recurring Plan get associated with the corresponding Recurring Gift in Virtuous CRM.
If a Recurring Plan is either canceled then reactivated, or the amount is changed, due to syncing considerations we will cancel the existing Recurring Gift in Virtuous and sync over a new one, effective as of when the change happened.
Fundraise Up integrations are API-based, meaning that the software suite that data is being synced into controls how records can be made, whether they can be edited, and so forth. Before using the Virtuous CRM integration, we recommend reviewing the following known limitations:
- The integration will only make Recurring Gifts for Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, and Annual Recurring Plans, as those are fully supported in the Virtuous CRM API. Daily and Biweekly plans are currently not supported. (Stay Tuned!)
- Currently, only two types of custom fields can hold text: Text and Paragraph. Text is intended for short messages and has a limit of 140 characters, while Paragraph is open-ended.
Set your defaults using General Settings & Mapping Rules
The Virtuous CRM Integration page has four sections:
- the header, which shows you what account you connected,
- the tabbed area, which lets you set your sync behavior,
- the sync log, which shows you records that've synced into Virtuous CRM,
- and the footer, with options to run historical syncs or deactivate this Integration.
It's good to start in the tabbed area (with tabs labeled General Settings, Mapping Rules, and Special Rules) so that you can cover your most common donation scenarios. Any changes you make in any of the tabbed sections are not saved until you hit the Save Changes button at the bottom of that area.
Look over your General Settings
The screen will have the General Settings tab open by default, as shown here:
Within General Settings, you'll find a few checkboxes and a few dropdowns. There's only one required field in this area (Match Contact), and it's filled in with the most common selection by default.
- Default Project
- Match Contact:
- This is set to "By Email" by default, and that's our recommended best practice, as people have names, addresses, and phone numbers in common more regularly, and change them more often. Setting this value to "By Email, in our experience, results in the least amount of account deduplication required.
- Default Segment
- Default Comment
- This governs what content will be written into the Notes field on any Gifts created as a result of Donations being synced to Virtuous. When first connected, the merge tag for Fundraise Up's "Comment" field is pre-filled in this box so that donor's comments during checkout would be put in the notes field, but you can edit as you prefer!
Make some Mapping Rules
The second tab in is labeled Mapping Rules - it allows you to make 1-to-1 mappings of fields in Fundraise Up to fields in Virtuous CRM.
As covered above, some mappings are already built-in by default (i.e. donation amount to donation amount), so this area is really for defining what additional things should be true most of the time.
To add a rule here, you'll click the Add Rule button to start choosing what Fundraise Up object the mapping should start with.
You can modify existing rules by clicking on any of the object or field buttons that represent the mapping, or delete them by clicking the grey x on the right-hand side of that rule's row.
When talking about mappings, we'll follow the format:
Object in Fundraise Up: Field in Fundraise Up -> Object in Virtuous CRM: Field in Virtuous CRM
The available Fundraise Up entities to map data from are:
- Checkout Question
- Custom Field
- UTM Parameter
- Static Value
- This allows you to enter a specific value to pass in for every Donation.
The available Virtuous CRM entities to map data to are:
- You can make sure your Gifts and Recurring Gifts end up associated to the right Projects by matching on either the Project: Name or Project: Code values.
- So, for example, if all of your Designations in Fundraise Up are named the exact same as your Projects in Virtuous, you could map Designation: Name -> Project Name.
- Gift Custom Fields
- Contact Custom Fields
- Recurring Gift Custom Fields
In Virtuous, there are two types of custom fields that can hold text: Text and Paragraph. Text is intended for short messages, and has a limit of 140 characters. Paragraph is open-ended.
As such, we recommend mapping any Fundraise Up fields that house long-form text (Donation: Tribute Message, for example) to Paragraph custom fields in Virtuous.
Cover any exceptions using Special Rules
Your defaults will have you covered most of the time - what about the edge cases?
For exceptions, we have the Special Rules tab! Any mappings you set here will override your Mapping Rules. As such, we allow you to get more granular here - where Mapping Rules limits you to mapping field-to-field, Special Rules allows you to map option-to-option.
To add a rule here, you'll click the Add Rule button to start choosing what Fundraise Up object the Special Rules' mapping should start with.
Fundraise Up offers Campaigns and Designations as the basis for our side of any Special Rule going into Virtuous CRM.
Virtuous CRM can then say what Project or Segment matching the above criteria Gifts and Recurring Gifts should get written towards in Virtuous CRM.
So, let's say any gift coming in with the "After School Program" Designation in Fundraise Up should go to the "Extracurricular" Project in Virtuous CRM. The Special Rule would be made as follows:
- Designation: After School Program -> Project: Extracurricular
Sync your historical data
Once you chose to Enable Automatic Sync, all new donations will have started coming over to your Virtuous CRM account, generating records as applicable.
How do you get past donations and donor data in? What about changes that've been made to your mappings; how do you get that new data in?
For scenarios like those, we offer the ability to run a sync that'll add any new records and update any previously synced ones. In the footer section of the Virtuous CRM Integration page, you'll find a button labeled Synchronize in a section that summarizes the last sync run.
Clicking that Synchronize button will launch a popup labeled Synchronize Donations, which will provide you the following options:
- All donations
- Specify period
- This will offer a date range selector, so that you can sync only donations made in your date range of choice.
Once you click Start Synchronization, the sync will begin.
Refreshing the page and scrolling back down to the footer will show you the progress/results of that latest manually-started sync.
Note: This mass sync option will only sync live Donations. To sync a test Donation historically, go to that test Donation's record in Fundraise Up and use the Synchronize button there.