Peer-to-peer Fundraisers, started by your supporters via Elements, allow them to solicit their community on your behalf.
Setting up a fundraiser is quick and easy with Fundraise Up: a supporter makes a fundraiser on your website, they get a link to share their fundraiser, and people who click on that fundraiser link land in your regular Campaign donation flow with the fundraiser's messaging front-and-center.
Keeping up with those fundraisers is just as easy: supporters get emails with their fundraisers' progress, they can manage their fundraisers from Donor Portal, and you can administratively make and manage all fundraisers as needed from the P2P tab of your Fundraise Up account.
- Make P2P Elements
- Review P2P-relevant Campaign settings
- Manage P2P Fundraisers from your Dashboard
- Receive email notifications for P2P Fundraisers
Make P2P Elements
P2P Buttons are embeddable Elements that you can add to your website to allow supporters to start their own P2P Fundraisers.
Like with most embeddable Elements, you can create them from the Elements tab and add them to your website by copying the provided HTML code into any place on your website's editor that accepts raw HTML.
P2P Links are Elements that give you a web address you can provide either via email or by adding them as regular links within your website. When anyone visits that web address, they are sent to start a fundraiser on your website.
These can be useful for inclusion in emails + social media outreach, and in scenarios where you want an existing website image or button to link to a "Start Your Fundraiser" form.
- If opened from outside your website, the P2P Link will:
- redirect the visitor to the URL you provided when setting up the P2P Link Element,
- and then automatically open the "Start Your Fundraiser" form when they arrive.
- If opened from any page on your website, the P2P Link will just open the "Start Your Fundraiser" popup right where they are!
Additional options for P2P Buttons & Links
The additional options provided when making a P2P Button or P2P Link Element are as follows:
- Designation: You can allow supporters starting Fundraisers to set a Designation for their Fundraiser, suggesting or even restricting what Designations donors can give towards.
- For example, if "Allow Fundraiser to Change Designation" is checked and "Allow Donor to Change Designation" is unchecked, a Fundraiser could be set up towards the Designation of "Clean Water", and all donors to that Fundraiser would automatically donate towards the Designation of "Clean Water".
- Empowering text: This message appears at the top of the P2P Button's popup, where your supporters can make P2P Fundraisers. You could add some explanatory text for the P2P process, or just an encouraging message!
- Default goal: This currency field allows you to suggest a goal amount when people use this P2P Button to start a P2P Fundraiser - they'll have the option of keeping it or changing it.
- Allow to join teams: If you check the box to allow visitors using the P2P Button or Link to join teams, visitors will be able to freely join any P2P fundraiser associated to the campaign the element is set to open.
- Questions: You can associate Questions with a P2P Button or Link, making it so that visitors using that P2P Button or Link get offered those Questions during setup. It's possible to decide whether each Question is optional or required.
- Custom Fields: If the selected Campaign for your P2P Button or Link has any Custom Fields created, you can set the default values to be saved for those fields for P2P Fundraisers started using this P2P Button or Link.
Once people start making and gathering donations through P2P Fundraisers, you may also want to add a Top Fundraisers element to your site to show off their progress and bring in more donations.
Top Fundraisers is an element you can use to embed a clickable list of the top-performing P2P Fundraisers, so that visitors to your website can see who's making progress and donate to those P2P Fundraisers directly.
It also includes the option to have a search box! If enabled on the element, visitors can search for their friends by the display name of their fundraiser, even if they didn't make the cut to be on the leaderboard originally.
Review P2P-relevant Campaign settings
For any Campaigns you've made available via P2P Button and P2P Link Elements, you may want to review the following settings, as they control what is shown and sent to your supporters running fundraisers and the donors they bring in.
First, make sure that the Ask Page is turned on for any Campaigns you're using by:
- going to the Campaign's Checkout tab and picking the Ask option from the left-hand menu,
- then making sure Enable Ask Page is checked.
By default, supporters organizing P2P Fundraisers get several types of email, which can be toggled on/off or edited. All three include buttons that, if clicked, take the supporter to manage their P2P Fundraiser via their Donor Portal.
The following are now available in the Emails settings area under the names:
- P2P Fundraiser started: Confirmation that their P2P Fundraiser is created.
- Donation via P2P Fundraiser received: Notification of every donation to their P2P Fundraiser.
- Special note: This will also include the donor's Comment, if they had the option to leave one (as permitted in that Campaign's Supporter tab) and they did so!
- P2P Fundraiser goal reached: Congratulations to them for their fundraiser's success.
- Member welcome: Welcome email for a new team member added to an existing fundraiser
- COMING SOON
- Member notification: Notification for existing members that a new team member has joined their fundraiser.
Campaign's P2P tab
Lastly, each Campaign now has a P2P tab, where you'll find options to set:
- Display name: Shown to the supporter running a P2P Fundraiser in their Donor Portal. You only need to set this if the name of your Campaign should not be public, and you need to give it a friendlier name for when you talk about it with supporters.
- Donor destination URL: P2P Fundraisers are driven by providing potential donors a link that sends them to a page on your website and opens donation checkout. This URL should be where on your website you want this Campaign's checkout to open for all P2P Fundraiser donations.
- Default goal date: The P2P Fundraiser's suggested goal date will be pre-filled as per your selection, based on the current day of the person starting the fundraiser. So, if you choose 1 month out, and someone clicks the P2P Button 3 days from now to start a fundraiser, it'll suggest a goal date of 30 days out from then. Fundraisers do not end at their goal date, and supporters will be able to log in and adjust their own goal date as needed.
- Default personal message: The P2P Fundraiser's suggested "Your message" will appear pre-filled based on your text in this field for anyone starting a fundraiser.
- Goal reached image: The image in Donor Portal when a supporter's P2P Fundraiser has achieved its goal.
- Goal reached title: The header text in Donor Portal when a supporter's P2P Fundraiser has achieved its goal.
- Goal reached text: The description text in Donor Portal when a supporter's P2P Fundraiser has achieved its goal.
Manage P2P Fundraisers from your Dashboard
Keep tabs on your P2P fundraisers' progress from the P2P tab of the Dashboard! There, there'll be one row for each P2P Fundraiser that has been created, a series of filters to help navigate the list, and a New P2P Fundraiser button in the top right.
Each P2P Fundraiser will display its most important details in its row alongside vital summary information like money raised to date and visit/conversion statistics.
To see more about a specific P2P Fundraiser, click on its row in that list to go to its record page, where you can review its information in full, including lists of all donations it brought in, recurring plans it brought in, and emails sent to its organizing supporter.
Make a P2P Fundraiser on a supporter's behalf
The P2P Fundraisers page of the Dashboard provides a New P2P Fundraiser button in the top-right part of the header, which allows you to set up a P2P Fundraiser on behalf of one of your supporters.
When making a new P2P Fundraiser, you'll be asked to set the Campaign it should go towards, the promotional details of the P2P Fundraiser such as goal and personal message, and the contact information for the supporter who'll be the main point of contact for it.
Edit a P2P Fundraiser
When you're viewing a specific P2P Fundraiser, you as an administrator can edit the Display name, Goal, Goal date, Personal message, and Offline amount + Offline donations by clicking the Edit button in the Settings section on the page.
Copying a P2P Fundraiser's link
When you're viewing a specific P2P Fundraiser, the top section will show the full share link for the fundraiser (including the member ID of the supporter running the fundraiser).
You can use the buttons below that link to:
- copy it to your clipboard,
- or to get a QR code image of that link, which will be downloaded as a .png file that can be added to printed materials if needed.
In addition, in the "Members" section of the page, you can click the three-dot menu for each member of that fundraiser and get that member's specific share link or QR code.
Pause a P2P Fundraiser
If you need to temporarily or permanently pause a P2P Fundraiser for any reason, you can do so by clicking on that P2P Fundraiser's row as found in the P2P tab of the Dashboard, and clicking the Pause P2P Fundraiser button in the top right.
Pausing a P2P Fundraiser will redirect any visitors via the direct link to the regular Campaign checkout experience. The checkout will not display that P2P Fundraiser's message or goal, and donations will not count towards its total.
For any paused P2P Fundraisers, you can click the Enable P2P Fundraiser button in the top right of their page to re-enable them.
Manage P2P Fundraiser members
If you need to add, edit, or remove a supporter from being a member of a P2P Fundraiser, you can use the following controls to do so:
- The Add new member button in the top right will allow you to enter the first name, last name, and email address of anyone you would like to join the current fundraiser as a member.
- The Members section of the P2P Fundraiser record page has links to each associated supporter's record for editing and management purposes, as well as controls to assign another member as the "admin" of the P2P Fundraiser or to delete any non-admin member.
- The "admin" of the P2P Fundraiser is the only person permitted to edit the fundraiser details (like fundraiser display name) in Donor Portal.
- Deleting a member from a P2P Fundraiser will still leave all donations associated to that fundraiser and team member, but will prevent them from managing that fundraiser in the future.
Receive email notifications for P2P Fundraisers
Each administrator of your Fundraise Up account can choose which email notifications they want to receive by clicking their name in the top right of the dashboard, choosing Settings from the dropdown, and choosing the Profile page of the Settings area from the left-hand menu.
From there, they can scroll down to the Email Notifications section and check the boxes for any notifications they would like to receive. For P2P Fundraiser, we offer the following automated notifications:
- New P2P fundraiser
- Updated P2P fundraiser
- Goal reached (for P2P fundraiser)