For those clients that need to direct funds between different payment accounts + provide different tax receipting, we can enable the creation and management of subaccounts.
- Do I have subaccounts enabled?
- Creating and editing subaccounts
- Reviewing each subaccount's settings
- Working with data from all your accounts
Do I have subaccounts enabled?
To get to your Settings area:
- click your name in the top right of the dashboard,
- and click the Settings option in the dropdown.
If subaccounts have been enabled for your organization, and you are an Organization Administrator, you'll see Subaccounts as an option in the left-hand menu of the Settings area!
Creating and editing subaccounts
From that Subaccounts page of your Settings area, you can click the Create subaccount button to generate new subaccounts, during which you'll specify:
- Subaccount Name, which should be a friendly/external name for that subaccount,
- Subaccount Code, which can be an internal identifier for that subaccount,
- and a checkbox labeled Use parent’s payment methods and receipt, which if unchecked, can allow the subaccount to specify their own payment methods, destination accounts, and PDF receipt options.
For existing subaccounts, you can click the three-dot menu for existing ones to modify their code and control whether they can use their own payment methods.
Reviewing each subaccount's settings
Once subaccounts exist, you can toggle to them either via the dropdown menu you get when clicking your name in the top right of the dashboard, or by going to the Subaccounts area of Settings, clicking the three-dot menu, and selecting Login.
Subaccounts can, and should, have their own Campaigns and Elements.
When in a subaccount, you can access that subaccount's Settings via the usual dropdown. From there, you can control everything permitted on the subaccount level.
One area of particular note is Users. If there are people who should only be able to see data for that subaccount and not other subaccounts or your organization's parent account, you would want to make sure to add them from the Users page while in that subaccount's Settings area.
As mentioned earlier, you would only see Payment Options and Tax Receipt if the Use parent’s payment methods and receipt checkbox was unchecked for that subaccount.
Working with data from all your accounts
All of our dashboard's filters, exports, and CRM Integrations allow the inclusion or exclusion of subaccount donation + donor data, as well as donation + donor data directly provided to your overall account.
Subaccounts also offer the same options to filter, export, and use Integrations, so that each individual subaccount can pass along their pertinent data to other systems they use.