How to integrate Fundraise Up with Microsoft Advertising for conversion tracking
Microsoft Advertising (formerly Bing Ads, Microsoft adCenter and MSN adCenter) is a service that provides pay per click advertising on the Bing, Yahoo!, and DuckDuckGo search engines. This article will show you two methods for sending conversions from Fundraise Up:
The article assumes that your Universal Event Tracking (UET) tag has already been installed. This must be installed for event tracking to work, so if you haven't already installed your UET tag, then click here to learn how to.
The easiest way to integrate Fundraise Up and Microsoft Advertising is by using Google Tag Manager (also known as GTM.) The foundation of the GTM integration is the dataLayer, so it's recommend that you familiarize yourself with the events Fundraise Up pushes to the dataLayer. Click here to learn more.
- First, we'll need to create a conversion goal in Microsoft Advertising by going to Tools>>Conversion Goals.
- Next, we'll need to create a conversion goal for donations. Select "Create" and then configure your conversion goal like this:
There is not a "donate" goal category, so the closest option is "purchase." We recommend using "purchase" rather than a custom category since the "purchase" event is more easily understood by Microsoft's AI, which will in turn help you get a better ROI.
Next, configure your event like below. Make sure to choose the dropdown "Conversion action value may vary" from the Revenue dropdown.
Next, it'll prompt you to set up your base UET tag. This article assumes this has already been done, but if it hasn't, please follow the instructions provided. If you're already installed the base UET tag, then select "skip base tag setup."
Finally, you'll be ready to install the event. Since we'll be using GTM to set up the donation event, you can choose "track event on inline action," click "next," and then done. Now, we're ready to move onto setting up the event in GTM!
- Since this integration relies on dataLayer events, we must create these events as user-defined variables and triggers in your GTM container so that they can be used with your UET events. This will allow us to pass dynamic data, such as donation amount, to the UET event. Click here for instructions on how to easily import user-defined variables and triggers into your GTM container.
- Now that Fundraise Up's dataLayer events have been imported into your GTM container, they're ready for use in your UET "donation" event tag! In GTM, select go to Tags>>New. Then, you'll want to locate the tag type "Microsoft Advertising Universal Event Tracking" and configure it like below.
For the firing trigger, select "Fundraise Up Donation Complete."
- Once your GTM container changes have been published, Fundraise Up donations will fire "donation" conversions in Microsoft Advertising! If you'd like, you can repeat these steps for other Fundraise Up events, such as checkout open and checkout close.