Sometimes, you need a donor to tell you something extra. Our Checkout Questions feature allows you to ask them a specific questions post-transaction and pass that data along where it's needed.
- Making Checkout Questions
- Enabling Checkout Questions on a Campaign
- Working with Checkout Questions responses
- Donation pages
- Donation exports
- CRM Integrations
Making Checkout Questions
You can make and manage Checkout Questions in the Settings area, specifically by:
- going to the Fundraise Up dashboard,
- clicking your name in the top right,
- clicking Settings from the dropdown,
- clicking Checkout Questions in the left-hand menu.
Once there, you can click the Add question button to add new questions, or click the three-dot menu in each row to edit or delete existing ones.
Checkout Questions are configurable via the following fields and options:
- Question Code: Allows you to provide a unique ID for that question for use with exports
- Question Type:
- Input and Text Area will give your donors a free-text field; Text Area gives more space to answer than Input
- Radio, Dropdown, and Single Checkbox allows your donor to select nothing or only one option from a list of options you define.
- Multiple Checkbox allows your donor to choose multiple options from a list of options you define.
- Question Label: Allows you to provide the question as it will be presented to your donors.
- Make a response required: If checked, will require a response to proceed with the donation.
- The option is selected by default: If checked, will pre-check the box for this question. Only appears if the Question Type is Single Checkbox.
When editing questions, you can change any values except Question Type, as that governs whether options are associated with the question.
You can only delete questions that have no associated data, but you can always make sure that not-in-use questions are not used on any active campaigns in order to sunset use of a question.
It's also possible to make new Checkout Questions from a Campaign tab, but it's worth reviewing the list of available questions first to make sure you don't duplicate historical effort or send data to a new field that isn't mapped anywhere.
Enabling Checkout Questions on a Campaign
To enable Checkout Questions in general on a Campaign, you can:
- go to the Campaigns tab in the Fundraise Up dashboard,
- click on the Campaign by name,
- click on the Checkout tab for that Campaign,
- click Questions in the left-hand menu.
From there, you can choose whether to check or uncheck the Enable Checkout Questions checkbox.
Checking that box pops down additional options, allowing you to specify which questions you want to ask as part of this Campaign's checkout, or add new questions if your desired question doesn't exist.
Once you've used the Find or create new question searchbar to add any questions you might need, you can also:
- use the handle on the left of each question to drag it into the order you'd like,
- and use the three-button menu for each row to remove them from the available questions for that campaign.
Don't forget to click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page to make sure your changes are saved and reflected on your website!
Working with Checkout Questions responses
Your donors' Checkout Questions responses are currently available for review on Donation pages, in Donation exports, and via CRM Integrations.
When you access a donation (either an installment in a recurring plan or a standalone donation), you can scroll down to the Questions section of the page to review that donor's responses to any questions they were shown.
When you're on the Donations tab, the Export Donations button in the top right allows you to specify which columns you'd like to export. There is a Questions checkbox in the list; if checked, the resultant export will include additional columns (labeled by Question Code) for each Checkout Question.
Checkout Questions can be added to the comments on a gift from the General tab of your Integration's settings, and can be mapped to specific fields in your destination CRM via the Mapping Rules tab.